Tuesday, November 08, 2005

I spoke today with the head of the anthro department. I'd been getting a general feeling from much of the faculty that I might be in the wrong place to study Central America. In all honesty I can understand such a response. When I applied to UAF I hadn't yet been to Guatemala. I applied with the intentions of studying circumpolar anthropology. I'm a technologist, not a Mayanist. He was remarkably supportive though, he talked a lot about cross-cultural similarities, universalizability, and the benefits of keeping a wide focus. "This is an anthropology department in the north, not of the north."

I don't yet know what my master's thesis will be about, even if it will involve the Maya, ancient or modern. But Peter's words definately gave me some comfort that I'm not in the wrong place to develop these passions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home